Separation, divorce and dissolution of a civil partnership can be a very difficult time for all concerned. As well as the emotional side of the divorce, there are the legal implications.

Divorce tends to be relatively straightforward legally. Very few cases are contested each year, and for most people going through a divorce, they do not have to go to Court at all. The Procedure is very similar to divorce for dissolution of a civil partnership.

For most people, divorcing is a very big step to take, and although many couples have difficulties sorting out arrangements for the children, or sorting out financial issues, they may leave the divorce until later, until they are emotionally better equipped to deal with it.

Free Enquiry

What are the grounds for divorce?

There is one ground for divorce – the irretrievable breakdown of the marriage. It must then be supported by one of 5 facts:-

  1. The couple have lived separately and apart for 5 years
  2. The couple have lived separately and apart for 2 years where they both consent to a divorce
  3. One has deserted the other (the period of separation has to be two years)
  4. One has behaved in a way that the other finds unreasonable
  5. One has committed adultery and admits to the adultery
How long does a divorce take?

Generally a divorce which is straight forward takes between 5 and 6 months. There are certain instances when a divorce can take longer – generally this is because the financial issues need to be sorted out, and a client is advised not to apply for the decree absolute until that has been done. Alternatively, there may be difficulties with the other person not returning papers.

How do you apply for a divorce?
  1. Complete a divorce petition (DIV8) and (if necessary) a statement of arrangements for the children – the forms can be obtained from the Ministry of Justice website.
  2. Send them to your local county court along with your marriage certificate (it must be the original) and payment of the Court fee of £550.
  3. The Court will then take a few days generally to check the paperwork is right, and to allocate the case a case number – this is very important, and is used by the court to identify your case. They will then send the papers to the other person (the Respondent).
  4. The Respondent has 14 days to return the form to the Court. The form will then be sent out to you.
  5. At this stage, you must complete a statement in support of the your divorce petition, along with an application for Decree Nisi. You will need to send these documents to the Court.
  6. The papers then go before a Judge. Once the Judge has time to read your papers, they will check to make sure that everything is order, and the Judge believes you have the grounds to be divorced. If they are happy, they will list your case for pronouncement of Decree Nisi. This is listed, and you will receive notification of the date and time that the Court will be making this announcement. There is usually no need to go to court, unless there is a disagreement between you and the Respondent about costs, in which case the Judge may need you to attend Court.
  7. 6 weeks and 1 day after the making of the decree nisi, you can apply for your decree absolute. There may be financial issues to sort out, so always seek advice as to whether it is better to wait.
What happens if the Respondent doesn’t return the paperwork?

To get your decree nisi you have to satisfy a court that you have served the Respondent with the papers.

This will mean that you may have to either arrange to get an enquiry agent/process server to serve the papers, or alternatively, you will have to make an application to get the Court Bailiffs to serve them. There is a court fee to pay for the bailiffs to serve the papers but it is generally cheaper than arranging for an enquiry agent. However, bailiffs generally do not work outside of court hours – 10 – 4pm, so an enquiry agent may be more likely to be successful.

One you have the report back confirming they have served them after a short period, you can apply for your decree nisi, even though the Respondent hasn’t returned the papers.

Can we get divorced even if we live under the same roof?

Yes you can, provided that you can confirm to the Court that even though you are living under the same roof, you are maintaining separate households. This means that you have to confirm to the court that you are not sharing meals, you are not sharing a bed, you do not have sex, you do not cook and clean for each other, and that your finances are, as far as possible, separated. The Judge may ask for a statement from each of you to confirm that is the position.

Can we get divorced if I think my ex is committing adultery but they won’t admit it?

You can only rely on the ground of adultery if there is an admission that adultery has been committed. If the Respondent will not admit to the adultery, then you cannot go ahead on that ground. You would then have to consider if there were grounds for divorce under the heading of unreasonable behaviour.

Divorce costs

We are able to offer 4 different tariffs of service – see pricing tables below

For all services, there is a court fee payable of £550 to issue divorce proceedings. In certain cases you qualify for a fee exemption, which may mean that you do not have to pay any of the court fee, or a smaller amount.

This cost is in respect of divorce proceedings only. It may be that you require our further services, and we offer a wide range of fixed fees, and different levels of service to try and meet your budget.

Option 1

Checking service for divorce

Here we send you out the forms to apply for divorce with some guidance notes.

We then check to see if your forms are correctly filled in. We will return to you with any amendments necessary.

You will then lodge the paperwork with the Court, and then will ask us to provide the further forms for you to complete and obtain a decree absolute.

The cost of this service is £195 plus VAT of £39 – total £234

Option 2

Help with Divorce

Here we complete the forms necessary for you to apply for a divorce, and provide you with information to guide you through the various stages of the divorce. You will send the paperwork to the Court, and when you receive that back you will provide us with court correspondence so we can prepare the rest of the documentation to assist you through the process of divorce.

The cost of this service is £395 plus VAT of £79 – total of £474

Option 3

Fixed Fee

Here we go on the Court record as acting for you, and we prepare all the paperwork and send it out to the Court for you, so we take away all the administrative responsibility for the divorce itself.

The cost of this service is £500 plus VAT total of £600.

Option 4

Hourly Rate/Bespoke

Here you pay by the hour for the service of a solicitor or legal executive, which means that you will get a service that is tailored to your personal needs and requirements. Because of this, the cost will vary from person to person. This will particularly suit clients who are very anxious about the divorce proceedings, who need a lot of reassurance. We ask for £500 on account of our costs at the outset of the case, and we will ask for further money as and when we send you an invoice.

Our hourly rates are £220 plus VAT per hour for Vicky Medd and £185 plus VAT for Johanna Allen